Friday, November 12, 2010

N-EOS:

Before our big trip I had a desire to purchase a new camera. I had really wanted a Nikon as I already had lenses but what to buy. The D90 was being replaced with the D7000 and it wasn't going to be available until late October or early November and we were leaving before then. My friend was upgrading to a D700 and had a D300 for sale at a good price but it was already over 2 years since it's introduction and I wanted something with high ISO. I wanted something with a larger sensor than a P&S. I nearly purchased a GF1 but held back because it didn't have full HD (only 720p). I slowly eliminated most models from my list and decided to purchase the Canon T2i mainly because of its small size and also because I wanted the lighter plastic model, even over the newer 60D. I got the kit with 2 lenses to start. Then I wanted to upgrade my most used focal length to something with better IQ than the the kit 18-55is with better low light performance. I managed to snap up a Tamron SP 17-55 2.8 Di-II When you change camera systems you have to start from scratch as you have nothing that will fit. So within the space of a month I ended up with 4 lenses, which also includes a Nifty-Fifty and 55-250 is.

Last week I went to the Camera Show (swap meet) specifically looking for an UWA lens for my T2i . I didn't find one for my Canon but . . .

P1050067
(Nikon D80 with Sigma 10-20 UWA lens)

I did find something for my Nikon D80. I don't really use this camera anymore as my son has borrowed it and thinks it now belongs to him, so now he thinks this lens is his too. I am still looking for a UWA for my Canon and there was none to be had for a reasonable price. I kept going up and down the isles looking for something specific and finally relented and asked a vendor who pointed me in the right direction. I bought the last one

IMG_2925
(NF-EOS adapter)

From reading the Canon forums I found that there are many cheaply machined adapters on the market. This particular one was better finished and cost more than I wanted to pay but I bought it anyway . It was worth it for the immediate gratification factor.

This adapter fits the Canon EOS mount

P1050065

and allows use of Nikon Ai lenses to be mounted. You expose in stop-down metering mode using Aperature priority . Not really a problem if you have used manual film cameras before.

P1050066
(Canon T2i with Nikkor 105mm 2.5 manual focus lens mounted)

It is more difficult to manually focus AF cameras as they do not have the fresno or split image rangefinder focusing screens and you cannot install one as they will result in incorrect meter readings but you feel like you are actually in control of your camera changing settings like in the old days of film, rather than just pointing and letting your camera make all the decisions for you

P1050063

Classic Nikon prime lenses actually have aperature rings and depth of field scales . I dug out a few more Nikon prime lenses

IMG_2919
(75-210 nikor Series E , 50mm 1.4 , 105mm 2.5 , 35mm f2 , 180mm 2.8 ED)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for some sample photos using a Canon T2i, using different lenses:

IMG_2946
(T2i, with EOS mount Tamron SP 17-55mm 2.8 at 17mm)

IMG_2947
(T2i, with EOS mount Tamron SP 15-55mm 2.8 at 55mm)

IMG_2948
(T2i, with Nikon F mount 105mm 2.5 manual focus)

IMG_2949
(T2i, with Nikon F mount 180mm 2.8 ED manual focus)

IMG_2950
(T2i, with EOS mount EF-s 55-250mm at 250mm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that it is daylight savings time it is brighter in the morning on the way to work, but after work you have to ride home in the dark . As I leave work the sun has now set and the lights come on

P1050003

It is getting cool, the daytime highs barely reach 10-12c

P1050004

During the morning commute the temps are around 4-5c

P1050005

It's a good thing I have heated grips

9 comments:

  1. Going from Nikon to Canon... Wow that's a big step. Next thing you know you'll be drinking the BMW cool-aid.

    The Canon T2i seems like a very good camera, I will continue to hold out on upgrading until the rebel line has the vari-angle screen. I can't justify the extra cost of the 60d and like you I like the smaller frame and lower weight of the rebel line. I have been looking for a good used UWA for my XTi since I bought it several years ago, but they seem to hold their value. Now that Sigma has an upgraded 10-20mm I hope to see some of the first gen lens come out of hiding at a reasonable cost. I have to say that probably my favorite lens is my Canon mk1 50mm f1.8, just a great lens.

    Be careful what you drink :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that adaptors such as the NF-EOS existed. Nice collection of prime lenses. I have been watching EBay for a 50mm F1.4 AF-S but haven't found a great deal yet. I guess I really have gotten addicted to auto-focus to go back to manual focus.

    I had sold all my Canon film bodies and lenses 20 years ago and finally starting all over again.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have serious photography lust this weekend. Sweet lens you found...it would be perfect on my D80 :)

    Today I borrowed my BIL's Sigma 8-16mm wide angle. First time I've ever used a wide angle. I'm not terribly proficient with it, not knowing the best way to take advantage of it, but I definitely think I need to add a wide angle to my kit.

    Funny seeing your sample pics...that's the sort of thing I did today with the sigma. How do you like the Cannon so far?

    I also had a chance to see the D7000 (more lusting). Very nice. I also looked over some tripods. They had a Manfrotto 055xprob, and 190xprob. The 190 might be a better size for me to pack around. Either one would be a big step up from my current set up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of all the revolutions I have lived through the digital camera revolution is the one that has had the greatest impact and has turned out to be the most fun. The end of the German Democratic Republic was nice to watch from a distance, the ouster of the Shah of Iran came as no surprise, but the arrival in my hands of a camera that takes pictures, developes them and allows them to be multiplied with no generational loss of quality- all in front of my unbelieving eyes- now that was a revolution I could get behind.
    All that, the ability to create a polarized effect by simply speeding up the shutter opening- and a laptop to store the images, why Have bene in heaven.
    Then you come back and return photography to the arcane world of F stops and decoder rings and adapters and endless expense and I have to thank you.
    I shall think of this impenetrable essay everytime I take out my pocket canon snap a piccy, check whether I like it enough to keep it and download it or simply hit the erase button. All at no expense whatsoever.
    God bless digital and, (from time to time,) manual focus.
    We can all explore our inner Dorothea Lange as the Great Depression gets its grip firmly around our throats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "cast off" camera equipment is probably much better than my current equipment. But I know how much you like to keep up to date. You take excellent photos and I appreciate the opportunity to look at them.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the Canon of course!!! Glad you got the adaptor for it. I look forward to seeing some awesome photos! I know I'm not up to date....where ya going??? I really should get some heated grips...it's getting chilly out here too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bobskoot, I'm just catching up on your recent blogs after time away from the internet, and must say I've thouroughly enjoyed the photo's and free photography lessons. Thanks, El D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bobscoot:

    I have no clue what you are talking aboiut in this posrt, but it must be exciting as everyone seems most enthusiastic about your conclusions. I did want to tell you that the pictures of your bike look great. Be careful riding in the change of seasons.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unless you are a luddite living in Florida, I can't believe how expensive this photography thing is! And I thought maintaining a bike was expensive. Yikes.

    I just saw the price of the D7000. Not bad as far as some bodies go, but $1500 list is steep for me.

    ReplyDelete