Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A non commute day

The other day I posted photos of my commute, it was actually a challenge issued by Martha, living amoung Tourists (blog).

On Friday I dropped by my dealer to see what options I had with installing Highway Pegs

P1010468

Of course I had my bike with me and I ended up with a chromed cruiser bar which I posted here I still have a few things to buy before my trip next month with the big item being a new pair of riding pants. I wasn't super happy with my Joe Rocket Alter Ego riding pants. I have had them for a few years and they are wearing out. Perhaps I shouldn't have bought one size larger but I had the idea to wear my work slacks underneath so I could ride to work and just remove them. But being one size too large means that the padding is not in the right position which is made worse because during the summer I wear shorts underneath, making them more baggy.

My mission last Saturday was to find a pair of riding pants. I had already been to most of the dealers and looked at what they had but nothing caught my fancy. Most often when I arrive on my bike (at the Dealer) I am already wearing riding attire and I find it tedious to have to remove all my gear and then get a headache trying on all the stuff, and then having to gear up again to go someplace else.

Last Week I had to go to Surrey for a business meeting, so I had my work slacks on. I made a quick stop to another dealer that I don't often get a chance to visit and they had some sizes of Tourmaster Flex Pants in stock. I liked the way the panels remove to reveal a full mesh pants underneath but I just didn't feel like trying them on as it would take too much time, and I had to rush back to work in time to go home.

I thought it best to return on Saturday wearing what I would normally wear during the summer and see how they fit. In 100°F weather I like to wear shorts and tank top, so that's what I wore when I left the house

P1010478

and of course my Wokova unshoes , my barefoot but "non-barefoot looking" sandals. I also wanted to look at the pre-owned Suzuki SV650nK4 which you see in the photo above. It is ugly looking with handpainted tank but had a newer engine with only 17K kilometers on the clock. It is fuel injected and has recent tires. A spare bike fits into my retirement plan. I wanted something cost effective & reliable which I could ship across the country, fly and ride from there, and not be without a bike at home while the "spare" goes back and forth to who knows where

anyway back to the Tourmaster Flex Pants

P1010482

I must have spent an hour trying them on, taking out both liners and checking how they fit, and then zipping everything back. While I was there Greg came into the store to check on a new helmet. Greg is a founding member of the Suzuki Owners Club of North America SOCNA I also had a chance to socialize with the owner of Motorcycle World, a club sponsor so I was hoping to get a club discount.

Needless to say, I bought them and took them home. I can't wait until I actually start wearing them. So now I am set for hot weather. I will use these Tourmaster Flex Pants with my new Joe Rocket Alter Ego 11.0 ballistic riding jacket. Both pieces will strip down to bare essentials, ie: turn into full mesh . I am not sure how transparent the mesh is as it will determine what I can get away with wearing underneath









15 comments:

  1. I wish we had your soft piddle paddle rains. We generally just get rain with storms, not the easy stuff you are splashing around in. They don't call it the "Wet Coast" for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha:

      Our drizzle can go on for months. It gets grey and depressing. I think it may be better to get it all in one day, and get the rain over with. I love walking in the rain, and puddles. We get lots of SLUGS here too. Just don't step on one . . .

      Delete
  2. I will be interested in hearing how you like the Flex pants. I am considering a pair of those also!

    It is so exciting planning for a long trip, isn't it?

    When do you leave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb:

      Those TourMaster Flex Pants seem to fit a lot better than the JR Alter Ego that I have. They have larger removeable panels too. I'm going to start wearing them next week, along with my new JR Ballistic Alter Ego 11.0 jacket.

      I'm still working on my trip route, only mid next month

      Delete
  3. You are getting pretty good at getting in and out of those pants Bob. I'd have probably fallen over if I couldn't unzip the leg at least part way. That was one of the things I had to get used to with my Rev'it pants, they only have calf zippers and my old Tour Master pants unzipped full leg length so I could put my boots on first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      It never even occurred to me to put my boots on first. For me it's BF until the last possible second. You just gave me a great idea for me to "modify" my video. I nearly fell over a few times. It was hard to balance when my foot got stuck in the leg. I barely got out in time

      Delete
  4. Your video clearly demonstrates what I would consider a flawed design. My old FirstGear non-mesh pants have full length zippers so I can easily put them on over boots. My newer mesh pants just have short zippers and are a real pain to put on or off and no way with boots. Fine if you are inside or on pavement but a real hassle on dirt of gravel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      I think these my new TourMaster Flex pants have full zippers, but then I have to unzip both liners as well. It comes with two liners; the rain one, and the warmer one. During the summer, the liners would not be installed so unzipping would be easier. I also have new AlpineStar* boots with velcro closures so putting on boots is less pain. I have laces on the ones I am using now and they always come undone, like they did yesterday on my ride home.

      Perhaps this weekend I will remove both liners, plus the Panels and see how the mesh looks. I think it unzips so I can try with boots on.

      In the video, the liner in the left leg got twisted. after I straightened it out, the pants went on much smoother.

      Delete
  5. It's full length leg zippers for me, I won't even consider looking at anything less. I was in the market for mesh pants myself until Brandy reminded me that she had a pair hanging in the garage that no longer fit her. They fit me just fine and saved me buying more gear. Win/win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troubadour:

      I'm still rubbing my eyes and re-reading this. You mean Brandy has a pair of mesh pants she cannot squeeze into anymore, and your slim physique is able to cram into them ? Shouldn't this be the other way around ? (I was just kidding) for myself, I need a new convertible/mesh riding pants, but I already had a convertible/mesh jacket that I wore to IMBC2010, and it is virtually new, in the closet. I bought it one size too small because I got a deal on them, and I think I had too many root beer floats.

      Delete
  6. Bob

    I have TourMaster Flex pants and they are awesome! During the winter with the liners in & appropriate winter layering you are warm & dry. I have zipped them down to mesh & they are fabulous. They truly are 4 season pants and you will love them. They are definitely waterproof. I have a TM jacket as well and an more than happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar:

      I think I'm going to love these FLEX pants. I have a habit of replacing my gear, but then I want to save them and keep using the old ones. I also have my new AlpineStar* riding boots. the last time it rained, water flowed off my JR Alter Ego pants and it dripped into my waterproof boots making it soggy in there. and being waterproof, the water stayed inside the boots. I hope the TourMaster seals around the boots better

      Delete
  7. Bob

    They rock! I have ridden through drizzle, torrential downpour, everything except snow. These pants are the cats meow. They are awesome and I am sure you will love them. they are really comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar:

      I haven't ridden with them yet, the tags are still attached but they do feel good and makes me look 10 lbs lighter. They feel much better than the JR Alter Ego Pants I have.

      Delete
  8. Ok. Need to see the mesh panels. Trying to convince Oilburner to get a set.

    No video from the car?? I wanted the live bumper shots.

    Learned in IT that you can say ID10 T in place of the "I" word...

    ReplyDelete