Friday, November 2, 2012

Before I could park my car

I had to move my bikes out of my teeny weenie garage


I normally have to park my bike outside but during construction I was able to squeeze them into this tight space.  This is usually where I park my 'Vette during the Winter.  I had to move them somewhere else before I could get my car into this space and I have very little maneuvering room


I could not park them in my back yard due to the muddy sand but I had to move them somewhere out of the way to make room.  Here is my Vstrom, I have already moved Nu2Me to a temporary parking spot.  The only other alternative was to move them out onto the street where they would have to sit in the rain for a day.

With my bikes out of the way, I spent another couple of hours cleaning the space up to make room.  There is little margin of error.  It is a narrow space and I only have an extra inch on both sides of the mirrors


I had wanted to lower the top but it was still wet from the day before, but I loosened the header to take the stress off the rubber seals


Older houses have narrow parking spots.  This area is not heated but attached to the main house, so there is no danger of freezing.   I store the car with a battery maintainer connected.  I have to make sure I approach the entrance at the correct angle and hug the right side so I can get out of the car


Another successful parking operation.   The car is parked here within an alarmed environment for half the year.   It is driven out in the Spring and insured for the summer months.  It is returned to hibernation in the Fall, usually October.   In the summer while insured it remains parked outside under the carport


On Saturday I moved my bikes over to our project house where they remained until Sunday.  After I parked the 'Vette I had to move them back to the carport


I moved Nu2Me first, then my Vstrom over the slippery sandy ground


Phase two is completed.  My 'Vette is parked for the Winter, and my bikes are here under the carport and both are plugged into their own battery tenders.


I'm so happy I'm clicking my heels . . .


16 comments:

  1. It is nice that you have the Vette all tucked in for the winter.

    Hope your foot is feeling better now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      I hardly used it this year. Only the one trip to Oregon during September. I had to park on the street and all was well until that fateful day when it got damaged. Since then I was just waiting for the day that I could bring it back to its secured parking spot.

      I am walking better today. I think it had something to do with me putting the bike on its center stand without my riding boots on. My foot is not strong enough to handle the weight of my Vstrom without ankle support since my mishap. Nu2Me is no problem at all, better balanced.

      Delete
  2. So being somewhat familiar with construction I notice the lane house has quite a wide opening in the wall and no sill plate. That looks to be about the same width of a two car garage door, however I am curious why it would be on the house side and not the alley access side? Unless there is another two car garage door with alley access on the other side and it is a pull through garage.... that would be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troubadour:

      That's why I should wait until it is finished. You will be able to see it with your own eyes, when you eventually make it up here. You've been to Seattle (twice recently) . . . we are only another 120 miles North

      Delete
  3. I was looking at the opening as well but what really caught my eye was the curve ceiling and the gap to the top of the walls. Interesting building. I can't wait for the virtual walk through...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      The curved ceiling is an architectural "feature", and the gap will be windows to allow light to enter from all directions, to allow privacy.

      I know next year is a non-touring year for you BUT, you will have to ride your bike down here to see it when it is finished. It is 2 months behind, but should be ready in time for Christmas turkey.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see the Vette parked away and nice and cozy, but are those SNOW SHOVELS I see along the wall? Surely it doesn't snow in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canajun:

      what sharp eyes you have. It does snow here on a 7 year cycle we usually get a bad winter, but mostly it snows for a few days then melts away. We usually hover just above freezing so we get icy roads and frost in the mornings.

      Delete
  5. You look more like you are stomping your feet instead of clicking your heals. ;)

    Nice tuck and roll. Where s the heated blanket for the 'vette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori:

      I didn't have enough muscle power to get into the air high enough. I tried a few times so that's all you get. Plus I was on concrete without my springy shoes.

      While that crawl space garage area is not heated, it is attached to one wall of our heated house, so it doesn't go below freezing. It is connected to a battery tender. I have never had a problem and I also had another 'Vette before and it was also parked here.

      Delete
  6. Bob, I find the change to winter much rougher since I've been riding. Much more difficult than when I transitioned the Miata into winter storage in the garage. I still haven"t quite decided whether the riding season is over. Hurricane Sandy is pre-empting the end of the riding season. The weather has been unseasonably warm but also constantly wet. The Vespa has been sitting patiently in the garage. Monday there is no rain in the forecast, but the termperature is dropping and I don't want to ride at or below freezing. So maybe this is it.

    No worries though. Next spring will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      For some reason, riders and owners of convertibles always seem to know the weather forecast. Our Winters are not as severe as yours. We are usually able to ride "nearly" all year except for a few weeks in January or February. I cannot commute with frost at 7am, but by noon all is clear which means weekend riding. I insure all year "just in case"

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Pat:

      I haven't given up on Summer yet, as you noticed

      Delete
  8. That's quite an awful lot to do just to park your car. Hehehe. It's a good thing you were able to have your bikes and your 'Vette organized before winter. The last photo made me chuckle, by the way. ;D

    -Nelson Heimer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you own these rides? Awesome! I'm glad that the car fits in the garage. Maybe you should get a wider garage for them soon. With these type of rides, security is something to consider greatly. I love that picture where you're clicking your heels! :) Keep on blogging cool stuff!

    Roxie Magnus

    ReplyDelete