Monday, December 9, 2013

Franiec Grip for my new to me Sony RX100 m2

A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade my pocket camera.  I wanted something with more manual controls and with a larger sensor.   As with everything in life there are compromises.   Sure there are better cameras but they are usually larger and too large to fit into a pocket.  I wanted something non-threatening for social photography.  Something less conspicuous than a much larger dSLR.   I did pre-order the new Fuji X-E2 but our son liked it so much that it is now his.

I bought the Sony RX100 M2 but it is difficult to hold on to, because it is so tiny and slippery.  I was reading on the local forums about buying a grip to make one-handed photography easier.


There are several grip options but the one that most people preferred was the Franiec Grip and I received mine a week ago.  Richard Franiec makes grips for several camera models and they are very well made.   You can go to his website   Here1


    Photo courtesy of  Diglloyd.com   

Once installed it looks like it came from the factory.    It is well integrated with the body and gives a more secure feeling.    Now it sort of looks like the Lumix GX7 which I was going to purchase first but I didn't wish to get into a new lens system, nor did I wish to buy more lenses with another M4/3's lens mount . . .  thus the single zoom lens of the Sony RX100 M2 which also has excellent video modes.

The menu system is similar to my Sony NEX-5n.  More similar than different.   They both have similar modes but found in different places.   The RX has a programmable Fn button where you can set various functions so you don't really have to dig into the menu system to find what you want to do.   One function I use a lot is Anti-shake.  On the NEX it is found on the Mode dial.  On the RX it is found in Scene modes

    7am Downtown Vancouver a couple of weeks ago                              Sony RX100 M2

In Anti-shake mode you hit the shutter button Once and it snaps multiple images and blends the sharp parts into one image.  Nice when you don't have a tripod handy.

    No, I didn't eat anything here.  It was just a snapshot using Anti-shake mode    Sony RX100 M2

It was actually much darker than what it seems

     Our first snowflakes tonight after work

We had a light dusting of snow today so I had to snap a photo before I cleared the windows


My Sony RX100 M2 has a  F1.8 lens and these last two images were taken with the aperture fully open at F1.8   did not use Anti-shake

A couple of weeks ago I was in Steveston / Richmond and snapped the following for comparison.   I was also working on watermarking my images using  PSEL9 in multiple image batch mode

   Sony RX100 M2


    Sony RX100 M2


    Sony RX100 M2





    Sony NEX-5n


   Sony NEX-5n



    Sony NEX-5n


    Sony RX100 M2      macro mode

I don't have a macro mode on my Sony NEX-5n .   So far I am liking it



6 comments:

  1. I had no idea they made grips for small cameras. Great idea.

    I too like macro mode. I use it quite a bit for food pics and flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      Most small P&S cameras have macro mode but no cameras with interchangeable lenses. For those you need to buy an expensive macro lens. I have an 100mm 2.8 macro for my Canon but nothing for my NEX and I already gave away my Lumix TS3 so I couldn't snap a photo of my RX100m2. That's why I had to grab one from the 'net.

      Most cameras have a "bulge" so you can hold it more securely, but not the Sony RX so I had to buy an aftermarket one. Seem more secure now

      Delete
  2. That grip looks like it's made of metal. Does it use the tripod screw to attach to the body?

    I like the lighting and the calm water in the next to last photo. The photos look wonderful but I'm not sure about the electronic "trickery" used by the anti-shake feature. Though that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      The grip feels like metal, very solid and it is glued on with super strong tape of some kind.

      That photo was taken from the Public Pier in Steveston. That is a restaurant over the water and it was very calm that morning. The sun was just rising. It was early and not much was open yet

      Anti-shake mode is not really trickery. Not much different than image stablization. Image stabilization is sort of mechanical as there is optical element that moves within the lens to counter vibrations and movement. Anti-shake is just done via software where several images are aligned and blended within the camera

      Delete
  3. Very nice photos Bob. When things get less hectic in just a few days, I'll take the time to explore our new Lumix. I don't think I've ever used a macro mode and I have to explore that too because the picture of the plaque is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      Yes, take some time to play with your new camera. Most P&S cameras have a macro mode but with interchangeable lens cameras you need to buy a separate macro lens, which is often very expensive. I have a 100mm 2.8 for my Canon, but none for my Sony NEX

      The holiday season is nearly upon us. Enjoy your time off and relax . . . and think about the Barbados trip that never was

      Delete